Posted on August 23 2022
Everyone who has any familiarity with the Netherlands will know about stroopwafels! Place them on the top of you mug and let the steam from your coffee or tea warm them through. But have you tried them in other ways as well?
Try sandwiching some delicious-ness between them!
Stroopwafels Ice-cream Sandwiches! Can be used with any ice-cream and go great with chocolate sprinkles! These are best eaten outside. Freezing the stroopwafel causes the caramel to become like a hard candy, this makes for a messy treat that you won't mind licking your fingers after!
Stroopwafel Cheesecake with a coffee wafer crust! Delicious at any time of the year! Crumbles of stroopwafel within add a great texture and a rich caramel flavour. Top with more stroopwafels, caramel and some dollops of whipped cream and wow your guests.
Coffee Wafer Crust
package Jumbo Coffee Wafers (makes 2.5 cups of crumbs)
1/4 cup (67g) packed light or dark brown sugar
6 Tablespoons (85g) butter, melted
2 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons instant coffee
For more intense coffee flavour use 4Tbsp of water and coffee
1 and 1/4 cups (300ml) heavy whipping cream
Additional needed for serving
Three 8-ounce blocks (680g) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup (160g) brown sugar
1/2 cup (60g) confectioners’ sugar
1 package Stroopwafels
Caramel sauce (for topping)
• Line your 8 or 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Use a dash of oil or melted butter to ensure it stays in place.
• Make the crust: Crush Jumbo Coffee Wafers into crumbs and stir in brown sugar and melted butter. Pour into springform and use the bottom of a measuring cup to pack it into the bottom. Freeze for 10-20 minutes as you prepare the filling.
• Make the filling: Combine hot water and instant coffee in a small bowl and stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
• Using a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the cold heavy cream into stiff peaks on medium-high speed, about 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
• Using a mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and sugars together on medium speed until perfectly smooth and creamy. Add coffee and water mixture and beat for 2-3 minutes on medium-high speed until smooth and combined.
• Cut up 3 stroopwafels into small pieces and add to cream cheese mixture, mix until combined.
• Using your mixer on low speed or a rubber spatula, fold the whipped cream into the cheesecake filling until combined. Combine slowly to avoid deflating the whipped cream.
• Remove crust from the freezer and spread filling into crust.
• Cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 6-8 hours and up to 2 days. Longer is better for a firmer cake.
• Cut remaining stroopwafels into wedges. Decorate the cake with whipped cream, stroopwafel wedges and caramel sauce!
Festive Stroopwafel Houses
Gingerbread can be a lot of work to make, and the houses are quite large. Using stroopwafels allows everyone to make their own without taking up your whole house! The Jumbo or VanBreggen branded stroopwafels are extra large and are perfect for these little houses!